He went to the hospital since he had been suffering from a headache for several days.

Luis Ortiz, a senior at Sacramento State, was on the verge of death when he suffered a severe headache while visiting his mother’s home in Napa.

Paramedics responded immediately to her emergency request for assistance. They rushed him to Queen of the Valley Medical Center, where scans confirmed a parasite had taken residence in his brain.

Without immediate surgery, Luis was given less than a half-hour to survive. Luckily, the medical team could properly remove the tapeworm, and Luis is on the mend.

Physicians used an imaging gadget during emergency surgery to find parasites in Luis’s brain. The tapeworm larvae had formed a cyst, obstructing circulation, and the doctor stated it was still writhing when he extracted it.

Luis couldn’t believe he had such a deadly parasite in his head, especially since he hadn’t done anything to put himself at risk of infection, such as eating raw pig or swimming in a river. He had no idea how long the worm had been within his skull.

According to the physicians, the parasite could have entered Luis’ body through contaminated food or water or even through travel to an underdeveloped country.

They were forced to conjecture how the illness got into Luis’ system in the first place because there was no recognized source of infection. Whatever the cause, they cleared the obstruction and treated the condition with medication.

Tapeworm infections constitute a significant health risk that can be acquired by eating undercooked meat or food handled by an infected individual with inadequate hygiene and sanitation.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, six significant types of tapeworms can infect humans, each originating in a different animal.

These parasites cause over a thousand hospital admissions in the United States each year, making them a high-priority health concern.

Near the end of his undergraduate degree, Luis expressed gratitude for the opportunity to continue living his life. He stated that he would not be here today if he had waited any longer, making it much more meaningful.

Taenia solium, sometimes known as the pig tapeworm, is a parasitic flatworm that infects people and pigs. It is one of the most common human parasites globally, primarily in locations where raw or undercooked pork products are consumed.

Although most infections are asymptomatic, if left untreated, the parasite can cause serious health consequences such as seizures, cysticercosis (a disorder caused by larvae invading other organs), and even death.

Thankfully, infection with this parasite can be avoided by following basic food safety practices while handling pork products and taking proper hygiene precautions to avoid contact with affected animals’ eggs.

Active infections are typically treated with drugs such as praziquantel or albendazole, which assist in eradicating the worms from the body. If there are any symptoms or risk factors, obtaining a comprehensive medical history and being tested for this parasite is critical. In the long run, this can help avert significant health consequences.

It is also critical to adopt excellent hygiene habits, particularly when handling raw or undercooked pork products, as adequately preparing foods is one of the best methods to reduce the risk of infection with this parasite.

Moreover, precautions such as avoiding contact with contaminated pig feces and washing hands after handling animals should be taken.

Finally, those living where infections are known to occur should get tested for this parasite regularly because early detection and treatment can lead to better outcomes and reduce potential health risks.

Limiting the risk of infection with this parasite and avoiding major health issues is feasible by following basic safety precautions and hygiene practices. Understanding the potential dangers of pig tapeworm might thus aid in protecting oneself from its negative effects.