Mom Warns About Dangerous Teen Trend: Getting High on Nutmeg

A Georgia mother recently took TikTok by storm with a video warning parents about a dangerous trend among teenagers – getting high on nutmeg. Yes, you read that correctly, the spice commonly found in your kitchen cupboard.

In her viral video, the concerned mother explains that nutmeg contains a chemical compound called myristicin, which can have hallucinogenic effects when consumed in large quantities. This phenomenon is known as “nutmeg intoxication.”

The mother’s video was sparked by a conversation she had with a teacher friend who discovered some students carrying small bottles of nutmeg during a backpack check. Although the students claimed it was for a culinary class, their story was quickly debunked. The school’s resource officer overheard the conversation and confiscated the nutmeg, resulting in the students’ suspension.

The TikTok video has sparked conversations among parents, with many expressing their concern about this dangerous trend. Some parents shared that nutmeg sniffing has been around for years and can lead to a terrible hangover and short-lived high. Others reminisced about nutmeg’s popularity during their own teenage years.

It’s important to note that nutmeg intoxication can have serious consequences. Consuming large amounts of nutmeg can be hazardous and potentially fatal. Parents and caregivers are advised to be vigilant and watch for any unusual behavior or signs that their teenagers may be experimenting with nutmeg.

While nutmeg is a commonly used spice in various culinary creations, its misuse as a drug is not a new phenomenon. Historically, nutmeg seeds were used for medicinal purposes, including as a narcotic. Today, nutmeg is still used in traditional medicine for a wide range of conditions.

So let’s spread the word about this concerning trend and make sure to keep our spices under lock and key. The safety and well-being of our teenagers are of the utmost importance.

Have you ever heard of nutmeg being used as a drug? Let us know your thoughts and help us raise awareness about this issue.